Tuesday, July 19, 2011

How Do I Kill a String of Thought Provoking Blogposts?

My buddy Tim has a link on his blog for a really clever daily cartoon called "Basic Instructions." Each day you learn from topics such as "How to Be Kind to the Least Among You," "How to Refer to Someone's Not-Spouse," or "How to Recover From a Bad Shave." In all honesty, if you were to take this advice seriously you would quickly find that you have let your appearance go and all but alienated your friends and family.

There's lots of advice and how-to found on the internet. Much of it is very helpful. Just last week I mentioned to Tricia that I wanted a haircut but didn't want an ultra-short cut with the clippers. Not knowing how to give a scissor-cut, I half-jokingly suggested she find a video on You Tube. The next day she told me she found one titled "How to Give Your Man a Haircut." Sure, people go to school to both learn and hone this craft. But after a brief 4-minute video she felt good-to-go. She wrapped an old sheet around my shoulders and began to snip away.

A few days later we were preparing to replace the linoleum floor in the laundry room. After tearing back a few strips and seeing all that glue and paper still stuck to the subfloor we realized we had no idea what we were doing. Again, within minutes we had found and watched a video on the computer that showed us what to do. Seriously, how did mankind ever manage to survive the years before the internet?

I use the internet to find out lots of other things as well. I follow the news, baseball scores, blogs, and trail journals. I learn to play new songs on guitar and find recipes and tips for dehydrating food. I research things I've heard about in conversation, books, or movies. Most recently I researched Community Supported Agriculture - a partnership between consumer and farmer for a given growing season. After learning more about the advantages of knowing the very farm from which our food comes I again used the internet to find a nearby farm that offers Community Supported Agriculture. Within minutes I found Pinckney's Produce in Vance, South Carolina.

Is there anything you can't find on the internet?  I think back to the olden days of encyclopedias and have to laugh at the simplicity of our curiosity and the vast limitations of our ability to quench it. How would we ever have been able to answer such crucial questions as "How do you diffuse a bomb," "How do you howl like a wolf," or "How do you steal your neighbor's wi-fi?"

With so much information at our fingertips, it's hard to understand how we can be portrayed as knowing so much less than the many generations who have come before us. How could that even be true?

I bet I know how I could find out!

1 comment:

  1. OK, you've got to read the newest BASIC INSTRUCTIONS

    http://basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2011/7/24/how-to-live-your-dreams.html

    You are so right about how cheap information is becoming. I spent a great deal of time this summer teaching my mom how to use the internet. One way was to Google any obscure question we had - and we had lots. She was absolutely amazed by YouTube and pandora.com (the musical genome project). If you haven't gotten into this, I know you'll appreciate it.

    I wanted to know how to load the thin plastic string into my string trimmer. Found it on YouTube. I wanted to figure out how to fix this machine that cleans our pool. Found it on YouTube as well as a schematic and trouble shooting guide.

    I went back the Basic instructions you left links to. Tasty.

    I enjoyed the "Labels" thing you put for this post. MOCKING might fit a number of your posts.

    I am looking forward to hanging out with you guys tomorrow. Although I'll be the host so it won't be quality time. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete