Saturday, September 4, 2010

Careful What You Wish For

A few nights ago Tricia and I were in the bathroom getting ready for bed. Engaged in the nightly choreography of brushing, spitting, and rinsing from the same sink she suddenly reached down and snatched something from the top of my head.

"Ha," she yelled with a sudden smile. "A gray hair!"

There, standing tall between her thumb and index finger, was a single white hair.

I reached up for my head as though expecting to find a gaping hole where the hair had come from.

"Is that mine?" I asked.

"Yes!" she said, almost too quickly.

I looked at her, down at the hair, and then back up again.

"Huh."

I went right back to rinsing my mouth out. I don't think this was quite the reaction Tricia was hoping for. However, she was content to have me finally come on board in the journey toward not only getting older but looking it as well.

I really don't mind. I'll take it as it comes. I imagine many men would hope to grow into a look of great wisdom. A distinguished older gentleman, perhaps. Not me, though. I hope that in my old age I come to look a lot like Andy Rooney: angry scowl, hairs sticking out from my nose and ears, and eyebrows covering the upper portion of my face like a wiry valance.

Then she'll rue the day she celebrated that first gray hair!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the club, my friend. It's true that you have a youthful, sort of mysterious, ageless look. You could be 26 or 36. For some of us it is easy to determine. My white beard makes me an older statesman. You have little kids - that will keep people guessing.

    Hope it's going well this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ONY ROY is the real MC KOY since he's been through much as a civil rights leader. He also lost his own money in the process. He lost in excess of 15.3 Million dollars of appraised properties as the FIRST CASTLE CITY DESIGNER AND DEVELOPER on the Gulf o Mexico in Florida. You can simply google Sony Roy Gulf Case and you will find thousands of post about this dude, who is also a brother. His story is about to hit the market and the Black community has never heard of him. He also wrote a book about President Obama and he has received five confirmations that President Obama is the best man for the job at the White House.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SONY ROY is the real MC KOY since he's been through much as a civil rights leader. He also lost his own money in the process. He lost in excess of 15.3 Million dollars of appraised properties as the FIRST CASTLE CITY DESIGNER AND DEVELOPER on the Gulf o Mexico in Florida. You can simply google Sony Roy Gulf Case and you will find thousands of post about this dude, who is also a brother. His story is about to hit the market and the Black community has never heard of him. He also wrote a book about President Obama and he has received five confirmations that President Obama is the best man for the job at the White House.

    ReplyDelete