Thursday, September 10, 2009

Conversation with the Athlete


Dad: So Harper, you have a triathlon coming up on Saturday how are you feeling about that?

Harper: Well...hurray!!!!! So are you going to run with Ainsley this year like you did with me and Ainsley in other years.

Dad: I don't know. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how Ainsley does. If she's looking tuckered out then I'll run with her. How are you feeling about the swim? It's 100 meters this year and you haven't been swimming at the pool as much this summer as in past years.

Harper: I don't know. Although I can do it. I've done it before so I know I can do it because I can swim 200 meters or more. Are Mama and Papa going to come?

Dad: They will be driving in from St. Louis Friday night and I'm sure they'll be excited to come see the race. I'll bet they've never been to a triathlon before. They'll be so excited to see you and Muluken and Ty and Ainsley finish! Which do you think will be the hardest - the swim, bike, or run?

Harper: I like finishing and geting maetle .I wonder what my metele will look like this time . I'm not saying I do go for the prize. I go to have fun. Like most pepole do. Did you do iny tryathalons when you where a kid??????????

Dad: Absolutely not! I didn't do my first triathlon until I was about 24 or 25 and, even then, it was really, really scary. I knew I could finish the whole race but I was worried about coming in last or embarrassing myself in front of everyone. I can see now how silly it was to be so worried about that. I had a lot of fun in my first triathlon. I could barely finish the swim, did okay on the bike, and then did really well on the run. This is pretty much how all my triathlons have gone. I'm a much better runner than anything else. I'm not that fast but I seem to be able to run hard for a long amount of time even when my body is telling me its tired and that I should slow down. But the reason I enjoy triathlons isn't to do well in any part of it. It's to have fun. I love how all the athletes cheer each other on and encourage one another to keep going. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I love YOU!

Harper: I love you to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment