Wednesday, January 29, 2014

i-Tunes Gift Card



I used to have quite a CD collection. The first two discs I ever bought were John Lennon Live in New York City and the Beatles compilation Past Masters, Part 1. That was probably in 1985 or so. Over the next twenty years I collected many more. Some came from the music clubs I found advertising in magazines. I could pick ten CDs for a penny apiece (just rip out the little sticker with the album cover on, stick it to the application, and tape a penny on) and then agree to buy six more over the next year at full price. Given that CDs were about ten bucks at the store, I never did understand how they made a profit. Ten CDs for a dime?


Anyway, I did it and got all sorts of music I'd otherwise never have purchased (maybe this was the catch). I was turned on to lots of blues like Robert Cray, Albert King, and John Lee Hooker. Sometimes I couldn't find anything at all I wanted and just randomly picked something. This is how I wound up with the Big Head Todd and the Monsters CD.

Most of my CDs, however, came from our local music store, Vintage Vinyl. It was a cool place where all the guys behind the counter wore concert t-shirts and had tattoos up and down their arms. It was the type of place where you knew you'd be okay if you showed up at the counter with a Butthole Surfers CD but not a Rick Astley disc. I mean, they wouldn't outwardly ridicule you but you'd know what they were thinking.



Somewhere along the way music became digital and the days of the CD began to fade away. My collection was somewhat of a storage issue so I decided to save them all to my computer and then sell the physical copies for about $3 apiece. Well, I didn't get that much for them. And then my computer crashed.

All that music. Gone.



In the years since, I have saved the few CDs I have remaining to my iTunes account although I still keep them stashed under my bed. I still have all the blues stuff and about a dozen Miles Davis CDs. There's a few rock ones too but not much. Smashing Pumpkins. Elliot Smith. The Jellyfish. Stray Cats. The Black Crowes. Eric Clapton.

These days I get my music from the iTunes store. More often than not I buy one song at a time from various artists and "albums." It's not the same. I miss the liner art and liner notes. I miss the smell of the paper and the credits. But most of all I miss the opportunity to outgrow the radio hit and fall in love with the little known B-side that takes time to grow on you. Of course, I could still do this - buy the whole album- but I don't that often.



For Christmas I received two $25 iTune cards - one from my mom and another from a student. I'm overwhelmed by choices. What to buy? I could begin rebuilding my Beatles collection. Or find more music from the Fleet Foxes since I love the one album of theirs I have. Or pick thirty-five separate songs to fill out a new playlist. Or grab a Pete Seeger compilation, now that he's gone, to remind myself why he was so cool. Or pick a sub-genre like "acid rock" and see what I don't have. Or ask my friends for recommendations of music I've never even tried. Or, as I have done for the past month, let the gift certificates sit in my backpack as I continue to think.

So many choices.


4 comments:

  1. Hi there. Simply wished to say your article is astonishing. The clearness in your post is simply nice and I can assume you are an expert on this subject so I decided to drop you a comment for motivation.
    Well with your permission, I'd also be glad if you could visit my blog and leave a comment on my recent post titled How To Stop Being “Just Friends” With a Girl and Make Her Your Lover In 4 easy steps
    Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work.
    Regards from Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your article is freakin' fantastic, awesome, fascinating, incredible, marvelous. You are clearly the world's most knowledgable person on the subject of... What were you writing about? Oh, Yeah.

    I feel your pain about the shift in technology and missing old, very functional formats. We are at the whim of the industry. If they wish to switch to something else, we must buy the hardware required for the new and oh-so-much-better way to listen.

    I have out lived a lot of formats. My first two music purchases were on 45 rpm vinyl. James Taylor's "FIre and Rain" (with "Blossom" on the actual B Side) and the Carpenters "We've Only Just Begun" ("Close to You" on side B)

    I still have a couple hundred vinyl records and hundreds of cassette tapes. I also have a record player and a cassette deck, but I don't break them out as much as I used to.

    I feel for you for losing all that music. On the other hand, you can't simply listen back to the old stuff (well you could by streaming it, I suppose). Maybe in a way it will help to keep you current. If you want any of my OLD stuff I could always "burn" you some old-timey "CDs". Don't mention it you young whippersnapper.

    Meantime, I'm turning my attention to Daniel Efosa Uyi and his awesome 4 EZ Steps to make her your lover. Gotta go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. For retailers, however, gift-card sales don't count as revenue until cards are used, ...
    sell gift card new york




    ReplyDelete
  4. Buying music is so last decade. I've given up on it. I use this free service called rdio.com and while it doesn't have absolutely everything in the world, I've rarely been unable to find something I wanted to listen to, from what I regard as pretty obscure artists to Yeezus just after it dropped (as the kids say), so I could see what all the fuss was about (still not sure-I am old).

    It's free on your pc (they claim to have ads, but I haven't heard one yet). You can make playlists that they save for you, and you can add dozens of songs and albums in minutes. You can do 'stations' (like on Pandora), pause, replay, listen to entire albums, skip around, etc. They suggest stuff, which sometimes even piques my interest. It's pretty great. As long as there is something like this around, I don't know that I will ever buy music again. I do have a few vinyl albums around, mostly for the art and tactileness of it all, but I don't even have a record player.

    There's also Spotify, and maybe another one, but rdio is the only one I've tried, since it seemed like a great thing from the beginning and I'm used to its interface. You should check it out.

    ReplyDelete