Friday, August 17, 2012

Yosemite - Eleven Months Out

Here is a short video featuring the breathtaking landscape I cannot wait to explore next summer as we make the long haul West toward Yosemite National Forest. I was thinking of Yosemite yesterday as I sat in a teacher meeting. We were reading a lovely article by naturalist Rachel Carson about the benefits of walking beside our children and, together, living in awe of the beauty and wonder of nature. Not that I have high expectations or anything, but I'm already feeling that if I were allowed to visit only one place my entire life this would be it.

If you haven't been to the Yosemite Valley you might want to join us after seeing this. (Oh, and make sure click "full screen.")



“As long as I live, I'll hear waterfalls and birds and winds sing. I'll interpret the rocks, learn the language of flood, storm, and the avalanche. I'll acquaint myself with the glaciers and wild gardens, and get as near the heart of the world as I can."
                                                    - John Muir

1 comment:

  1. Man, you know how to live. And you and Tricia raise good kids who will know what's important. Your family is looking forward to the trip which includes lots of drive time. I don't think my kids would have been able to hack it, especially if the goal was to make it to a national park. They both like nature but none of us has your passion for the outdoors. You have a lucky family.

    We can only truly be civilised people when we have regular and meaningful contact with the wild world - Simon Barnes, Wild Notebook

    ReplyDelete