Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Butt of the Joke or The Butt Who Made the Joke

I enjoy a good joke. Never mind if it's at someone's expense.

Even mine.

I've been the butt of many jokes throughout my lifetime. They generally tend to center around a few specific topics:

1. I do not like to visit the doctor, take medicine, admit when I'm hurt, or admit when I'm sick.

2. I'm not very attentive. I only listen to stories that are either being told by me or about me.

3. I do not dress too nicely. The few clothes I have are stained or have small holes. I limit my wardrobe to three or four colors and most of my clothes look exactly the same.

4. I am not very macho.

5. I find humor in the troubles of others.

6. I talk far too loudly when making "private" comments about others.

7. I don't read e-mails.

Now, I'm not admitting that all, or even any, of these things are accurate. However, because they are referenced so often I'm sure there's at least a thread of truth to each. So when I hear someone say "Nice to see you got all dressed up today" or they impersonate me by looking up with a blank expression and saying "Huh?," I'm really not offended. It's funny.

Not too long ago my friend Tim was telling a story about attending a special banquet that our school district was holding in honor of our superintendent. He came back the next Monday talking about seeing people he hadn't spoken to in years. In the span of just a minute or two at the banquet he asked a few old acquaintances how they had been doing. One explained that his mother had recently died. The other told him that his sister had died just that morning. Tim looked really serious when telling this story, as though this had maybe affected him in some deep or meaningful way. Other people lowered their brow and tried to look empathetic for the unknown mourners. Not me. Striking a blow for #5 on the list above, all I could think to say at that moment was "Wow, I hope you stopped asking people how they were doing!"

I remember an old episode of The Simpsons where Homer has been sentenced to a driver training course because of some type of traffic violation. To scare him straight they show a film of tragic accidents and mangled bodies. After a few minutes of near uncontrollable laughter he responds "That's funny, because it's not me!"

I'm definitely beyond that level of insensitivity but I do notice that my favorite comedians are the ones that relentlessly make fun of others. No matter their color, sexual preference, religious affiliation, gender, athletic ability, intelligence, or any other descriptor that divides people into categories. I laugh every time Daniel Tosh jokes "We need to bring our troops home. They can have the war here. They deserve to get a good night sleep in their own beds, wake up and eat a big breakfast, and drive to war. We can have it in Nebraska. We don't even need that terrible state anyway. It's no wonder that state is full of storm chasers. Twenty minutes in Omaha and I'm praying for something to pick me up and carry me away. And yes, I tell that joke in Nebraska. But no one ever says anything because they're too busy sitting there stuffing their faces with fried mayonnaise balls."

I imagine the people of Nebraska are probably really nice. They may or may not eat fried mayonnaise. However, I'll allow myself to believe they do if it means a good laugh. Is that wrong?

Where is the line?

On Friday I told a friend at school that I hated his shirt. However, I tried to break it to him gently, "That's one ugly shirt!" I told another, when seeing a picture of him from years ago, that "you look a lot like a young Elton John." Neither comment was true but I doubt I'll ever say "That's a really cute shirt" or "Wow, you're a handsome guy!"

Before writing this I asked Tricia, "Have I ever made a joke that you found to be really insensitive and made you mad?" I didn't have to allow much think time.

"YES."

Although, when asked to present an example of one such joke she was unable to produce a single one.

"I can't think of one right now," she explained. "But there's been plenty. I remember getting mad."

So maybe there are lines that should not be crossed. Perhaps I, and others, should be more careful to spare the feelings of others - even at the expense of a well played one-liner.

Last Thursday I had dinner with some teacher friends. I went on and on about a guy I met recently who tells the types of jokes that are not only unfunny but uncomfortable. He talks almost without pause and rarely ever says anything that is remotely on-topic. He makes references that no one ever understands. He even made a presentation wearing a tank top. A tank top!

I, of course, had a little fun with all this. A little fun that I shared with my friends on Thursday night. A little fun that was supposed to elicit laughter.

"He has Asperger's," someone quickly explained. "He's autistic."

Talk about a joke that's not only not funny but uncomfortable. If there were a hole to crawl into I would have dove right into it. I drove home feeling terrible - sure that I could never again make a joke at anyone's expense. Basically, I felt I needed to stop being a jerk. Stop being a bully.

A few days have passed and I'm not so sure anymore. It may sound mean but I don't think it's necessary to stop teasing and making fun of each other. There's a lot of seriousness to life and jokes are much needed. Heck, even at funerals. But there is such thing as going too far. And that's what I had done - even if I didn't know or intend to.

I'm not sure what the exact moral is to this story but I imagine there's one somewhere. I'll continue to fumble around until I find it. But until then, careful what you say or do.

If it's the least bit awkward or incorrect I can almost guarantee it will not go unnoticed.

1 comment:

  1. OK, I've got to set the record straight here. That bit about the two people dying - all made up. I just needed a good blog post. I totally set you up, man. I knew you'd fall for it.

    Secondly, you wouldn't believe the jokes people tell about you behind Your back.

    Thirdly, you are my fashion idol. Before you came on the staff, I only wore shorts on hot Fridays and only with a CFI t-shirt. Now, I wear them any time it's warm. Thanks for that, oh fashion guru. I figure if you can get away with it... What are they going to do? Tell us we shouldn't play with the kids at recess and get sweaty and dirty?

    Fourthly, because you don't pay attention (or whatever) the things you DO say carry a lot of weight. Watch at the next curriculum conversation how people write down what you say when you do become alert enough to respond. It's gold, your strategy. Gold!

    Fifthly, macho is as macho does. You are the only one I know who is walking the Appalachian Trail. Well, besides Mark Sanford, but I'm pretty sure a few of his sections were in South America.

    Sixthly, if you don't ruffle someone's feathers, it's going to sound like a little kid knock-knock joke. By the way, you mean Tricia never told you when you offended her with an off color joke?! Heidi would start with the hairy eyeball then let me know as soon as we were alone - in no uncertain terms.

    Seventhly, finding out that the guy has Asperger's only made it that much funnier. Thanks for keeping me up with that one. Add terminal cancer to that and you have them in stitches.

    Deep fried mayo-balls. HA!

    ReplyDelete