Sunday, January 10, 2010

"Because It's There."

Each year hundreds of climbers - and even non-climbers - take on the tremendous challenge that is summitting Mount Everest. At 29,035 feet, it is the tallest mountain in the world. However, those climbing today are hardly walking in the footsteps of those that went first - George Mallory, Andrew Irvine, Edmund Hillary. Today climbers pay many tens of thousands of dollars to be led up the mountain by experienced guides who plan each and every aspect of the ascent. Tibetan Sherpas carry much of the climbers' gear and food to provide them a better chance of reaching the top. Despite all this support, it is still a grueling experience that ultimately kills a very significant portion of those who actually make it to the top.

George Mallory, who some believe to be the first to summit (before dying near the top of the mountain), was once asked why he would even attempt such a dangerous expedition. "Because it's there," he replied.

My friend Joe doesn't buy this. He can't for the life of him understand why anyone would subject themselves to such terrible conditions and risk death for something so silly as standing on top of a mountain.

"I don't get it," he has said. "Big deal - you get to stand on a mountain that happens to be higher than the thousands of other mountains all across the globe. Mountains that are safer and probably a whole lot more fun to climb."

Risking one's life for the sake of an adrenaline rush or to beat their chest in triumph is a topic that really sets him off.

"They're bucket heads - all of them," he continues. "They go out there - spending over $70,000 - and risk frostbite or death. Congratulations! You'd risk your wife and kids having no husband or father for the rest of their lives just so you can tell everyone you climbed to the top of Everest. Idiots!"

He feels the same way about skydiving. I once shared that I thought it would be fun to skydive - especially since I'm afraid of open heights.

"What better way to get over being afraid?" I asked. "Or at least, if I can't get over it I could at least prove to myself that I won't let the fear own me."

He was far from impressed. Or supportive.

"What purpose could there possibly be in jumping out of a plane?" he argued. "Thrill seeking isn't worth the price to be paid if something goes wrong. Sure, the chances of death might be small but it's still a whole heck of a lot higher than not jumping out of a plane!"

"But look at how many people die each year in car accidents," I argued. "Are you saying people shouldn't drive?"

"That's different and you know it," he answered. "You have to drive to carry on your daily life. Very few of us ever have to jump out of a plane. There are far too many enjoyable and exciting things to do in this world for us to have to revert to risking our lives."

I'm not all that certain I ever really disagreed with him. I did argue, though. Maybe it was just because this whole idea seemed to make him so angry.

I think, though, there's an interesting discussion to be had amidst all this. Do we have a right to do what makes us happy? Does having people who depend on you (children, seniors, patients, etc) mean that you have to give up things that you love - even if they are an important part of who you are?

This would generally be the point where I would share what I think I know to be true. But the thing is...I'm not sure. Do we feel pity for the climber who dies, leaving his family saddened and financially strapped? Or do we get angry at him for putting himself in that situation to begin with? I just don't know.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting question - you devil's advocate you. I lean toward Joe's point of view. We only have so much energy and resources, right? I think we must balance who we are and what we have with the greater good. So, training for a year, spending 100,000 bucks to make it to the top of Everest seems like kind of a waste to me, kind of selfish. Think of what other good that money and energy could be spent on.

    Of course, that is hypocritical because when I look at all my STUFF I could ask the same question. I understand the rush, though I've never quite been able to put myself in the shoes of such a thrill seeker. Hmmm

    ReplyDelete