Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Band

"The concert on Monday is off. The band broke up."

Those were the words that greeted me as I walked over to help my kids through the lunch line on Friday. Patton, who had just co-founded the band days before, was clearly dejected. I looked over to the lunch table and saw that his fellow band mate Reese was moping as well.

"What happened?" I asked.

"They wouldn't stop chasing us around the playground," he responded. "And they booed us after our song."

If he weren't so plainly upset I would have had to chuckle at the image of "the band" being chased around the playground by a pack of crazed seven and eight year old girls. I couldn't help but think of Beatlemania. Ah, the hardships of success.

"Are you sure they weren't just booing you to be silly?" I asked. "I don't think they would really want to make you guys feel bad. Everyone was so excited to hear the much anticipated Five Chimichangas concert."

"No. They were booing. They said it was bad."

I thought for a moment - hoping for just the right words to set it all straight. Instead, I reached for the teachable moment. "Well, the five of you said that the concert was going to be Monday but then you did it today. I don't think you rehearsed your songs enough. Just think of how many times we have to rehearse a new song in the classroom before we perform it for parents. We do it once or twice a day for about a week."

"We rehearsed," he said dryly.

It was clear that this was a wound that would need time to heal. Who would have imagined two months ago that these second graders would have carved out such a bold new identity for themselves? Musicians.

It was a rough week of sorts. We experienced three consecutive days of rain without any hope of getting outside for recess. Generally I would say that indoor recess is about as excruciatingly painful as sitting through a Sandra Bullock marathon on TNT. However, these three days on indoor recess were just magical. Four or five kids spent their time working on number sentences on the board, a group of others hovered about the science table sorting through leaves, rocks, and the remains of various dead animals and bugs. Pairs of competitors were scattered about the room engaged in a game of chess or Othello.

And then there were the songwriters.

A couple of girls were hard at work on a songbook - a combination of songs we had sung together in class and original works of their own. One or two others worked independently at a song. But, by far, the most serious work was being done by Brandon, Patton, Daniel, Roman, and Reese who had formed "The Five Chimichangas." They wrote about four of five songs, planned a concert for recess, made up tickets for the event, and created posters to advertise their opening show.

All the while, I sat in the floor with my guitar offering chords to anyone willing to bring a song. We sat in small groups and sang - awkward melodies, awkward verses, awkward chord progressions. Still, it was music and everyone was loving it. It was creative and new and full of promise.

So, out of this, the Five Chimichangas were born. Three days of recess spent writing and talking and laughing and planning and dreaming. I see now that I didn't realize how important this had become to them. How real it had become. A couple of days later I heard stories back from one of their parents. It seems the budding singer had already developed plans for fame and fortune and the promise of a new house for mom.

But like so many bands it seems a lack of confidence in themselves and their music was their downfall. And, of course, the harsh early reviews. I tried, at the end of the day, to smooth things over.

"I would just hate to see the band come to an end," I said. "I really think this can all be worked out and you can get back together again."

I looked at each of their faces. And then Roman, without missing a beat, returned my gaze and declared, "I've already joined a new band!"

Easy come, easy go.


Childish Adult (Dad)

1 comment:

  1. It seems to me that it's the process that really counts, The Chimichangas may live on to sing another day, but those days planning and creating - that is the magic. Don't you wish you could flash forward a couple decades and see these guys as adults?

    ReplyDelete